Sunday, November 20, 2011

Faux Piping Trim

I recently made this coat which I've posted on Sew Passionista.



I thought I'd show you how I achieved the look of piping along the front openings.



It's simple really. When you press the facing of the garment , you roll a little out to show from the right side. Then you stitch in the ditch to fasten it permanently. It's that easy.




When sewing with faux leather like mine, it's necessary to use strips of tissue paper under the fabric on top of the feed dogs because it just won't budge otherwise.(see photo above) You then peel the tissue off and pick out any residue from the paper.



And that's all there is to it!

More another time from

2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing Diana as I have just sewn some more piping - great jacket am going to look at your other blog now. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial, great technique

    ReplyDelete